sofia vergara's Biography


1989
Sofia Vergara

Model Behavior

While taking a stroll on a Colombian beach, 17-year-old Vergara is spotted by a modeling scout and drops out of dentistry school to pursue a career in entertainment. She soon lands several gigs, including a starring role in a Pepsi commercial.
1990s

Marriage & Manolo

At 18, Vergara marries high school sweetheart Joe Gonzalez and welcomes son Manolo two years later. But in 1993, the couple calls it quits. "My life as a mother has been hard, but not a nightmare," she tells Florida's Sun-Sentinel of single motherhood. "I do like all working moms do. No life is perfect. What I do, it's part of life."
1998
Sofia Vergara

What a Vision

After Vergara's older brother Rafael is murdered in Bogotá, she and her family relocate to Miami, where Vergara becomes a star as host of Univision's Spanish-language game show A que no te atreves ("I Dare You"). "I will always be grateful to Univision for giving me my start," she tells the Miami Herald. "Nobody knew me before I started working [there]. But there are a lot of offers now and I want to move on. This is the time."
2002
Sofia Vergara

Battling Cancer

As her career heats up, Vergara is diagnosed with thyroid cancer and undergoes surgery to have a thyroid gland removed. "When they tell you that you have cancer, you panic," she tells Self in 2010. "Now I'm in remission, and the scar doesn't bother me. After the surgery in 2003, I had my son Photoshop a Frankenstein scar on my neck and sent it to my friends and said, 'I'm fine, I look perfect!' It was really funny."
2003
Sofia Vergara
April 16

Chasing Stardom

Following her film debut in Big Trouble, Vergara stars opposite fellow Latina stars Roselyn Sanchez and Jaci Velasquez as hotheaded waitress Cici in Chasing Papi. "I did the casting [call] for Chasing Papi and surprised myself and got it," she tells the Los Angeles Times. "I've never taken an acting class in my life. Basically, I'm just going by ear and feeling my way."
2005
Sofia Vergara
February

Cruise Control

After meeting at a party hosted by Jada Pinkett Smith, Vergara is spotted exiting Jerry's Famous Deli in Studio City, Calif., with movie star Tom Cruise. But by March, the star downplays their relationship, saying, "I've only known Tom for a very short time. It's funny because the media creates what they want to create."
2009
Sofia Vergara
Spring

Broadway Babe

Taking on the character made famous by Queen Latifahon the big screen, Vergara stars as Mama Morton in Broadway's Chicago. "Ordinarily, more mature, matronly women are traditional Mama types," director Walter Bobbie tells the Miami Herald. "But at the core, she's both warmhearted and tough. Sofia brings that."
Sofia Vergara
September 23

Family Matters

Vergara scores her big break playing Gloria Delgado-Pritchett on the ABC sitcom Modern Family, which costars Ed O'Neill as her husband and Rico Rodriguez as her son. "It's very close to me," she tells USA Todayof her character. "I'm a mother with a kid, I'm an immigrant in this country…I can show a little bit of my country to the States, to the world."
2010
Sofia Vergara
February

Loving Loeb

Vergara begins dating Florida-based businessman Nick Loeb, the heir to New York's Loeb, Rhoades banking fortune. Six months into their relationship, he isseriously injured in a car accident. "It was hard for us because it happened in the middle of the most fun, sexy time," she tells Shape. "But throughout the whole ordeal, Nick kept his sense of humor despite the situation. I don't know if I could have stuck it out with him if he hadn't been able to laugh at himself and be happy even under the worst conditions." 
Sofia Vergara
July

Award Worthy

Vergara earns Emmy, Golden Globe and SAG Award nominations for her laugh-out-loud role on ModernFamily. "I'm so new to acting," the actress says of her Emmy nod. "I'm not American, so I didn't know that it meant something when they invite you here. Somebody should have told me!" In August, the series wins the coveted outstanding comedy series Emmy, while Vergara and her cast mates take home a SAG Award in 2011 for best TV comedy ensemble.






NAME
Sofia Vergara
DATE OF BIRTH
July 10, 1972
BIRTH PLACE
Barranquilla, Colombia
RELATIONSHIPS
Nick Loeb, boyfriend (2010 to present)
Tom Cruise (linked in 2005)
Chris Paciello, ex-boyfriend (1995 to 1998; on and off)
Enrique Iglesias (linked in late 1990s)
Luis Miguel (linked in late 1990s)
Jose Gonzalez, ex-husband (1990 to 1993) 
CHILDREN
Manolo Gonzalez, son (1992) 

Comments